Saturday, March 21, 2009

Repurpose Before Recycling


I love magazines. Well, I should, I make a living writing for them.


You know that I love to save money. And I'm a friend to the environment too.


Naturally, I pop my old magazines into the recycling bin when I'm done with them. But could there be more? I'm suggesting that we send them on to families who cannot afford to buy them. When we buy a magazine, we barely cover the costs of production. Getting the print out there facilitates advertisers. Passing on a magazine to someone who would not ordinarily get it may increase the reach of advertisers and increase the market. Who knows, when income increases, they may become a subscriber?


Perhaps send them to a local girl scout troop to use in craft projects such as story boards.


Use them to line the birdcage and then throw them in the composter (for use on lawn, not veggies).


My grandma made me a string of beads from magazine pages that were rolled on toothpicks and sealed with a glue like mixture. She even made me a string from surplus wedding announcements. Really cool. Huh?


The point is that repurposing trumps recycling in the big order of things. I'm trying to do my part.

Don't forget to register for the monthly newsletter. The button is to the right.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: