Friday, March 23, 2012

Water, water...but not everywhere


We have been on a quest to reduce our use of water. Well, a better goal would be to reduce our WASTE of water. We have tried all sorts of things so far. We let rainfall top off the swimming pool. We collect rainwater from the roof in barrels to water the plants in the garden. Zoysia grass is in the yard--it doesn't require much water and it only needs to be cut once a month so we also save time and gas.
Tonight, while washing up some utensils, it dawned on me that it would be really easy to capture the wash water and use it to water the potted plants on the front stoop. So, that's what I did. Four gallons later (I know it doesn't seem like much) the flowers and herbs have perked up and I'm feeling just a wee bit better about our efforts. Even if I only do this once a week, we will have saved 208 gallons of water a year. Yep, it makes me feel good.

I'm waiting on the water bill. It should be here any day. We have reverted back to some age old advice to save huge amounts of water. We'll see how the numbers drop and I share our super simple trick to save even more water soon.
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: