Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday Strategies


The dishes are barely cleared from the Thanksgiving table and shoppers are already in high gear for Christmas shopping. Shoppers will likely shed a few calories in the chaos as well as their hard-earned dollars.

One thing keeps reverberating in my mind. Spending doesn't mean you are saving--if it's something you don't really need or want.
So the big question is: Do you really need it and/or do you really want it?

Advertisers are good at making us think we want something. They make us think that we will be happier, prettier, thinner, more loved, more popular, etc. if we just use a certain product/brand. The truth is that you just might be happier if you passed on that offer. The happiness of financial security may just outweigh what you will spend. And don't even get me started on what happens if we put that want on a credit card. I'll simply say that your savings disappear!

So, what am I doing on Black Friday? I'm staying home. You see, my shopping is almost done. I made a simple list of my gift giving needs. I chose smaller, more local (more on this in future posts), and consumable items that I know people will use. It may be a pound of favorite coffee, kitty treats, or a pampering item from my salon line of beauty care products.

Having the shopping stuff mostly behind me, I was free to enjoy sleeping in. I didn't have to get up and brave the clod to stand in line at 3am. If this brings you joy, then go for it! My husband and I went through some clothes to donate to a local charity (our favorite is Children's Hospital of The Kings Daughters), Raked some leaves and tended our organic garden, and hung freshly washed clothes on the line.

Enjoying time together as a couple also saves money. Couples who accomplish things together establish a foundation that prevents having to spend money on marriage counseling. I know you are laughing and may even think me a little un- American.

I'm not saving to stop buying gifts or stay home. I'm just saying to think and make a conscious choice before opening your wallet. If it brings true great joy, then go ahead. But only if you can afford to do it without going into debt.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: