Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 10 Do the Save Electricity Happy Dance

It's so exciting. While I have no way of knowing how much energy I am saving, I still feel validated. Newsletter subscriptions are coming in. By the way, I do a SMALL newsletter every month chronicling ideas for saving money and the earth.

I am about a third of the way through the challenge. I'm finding so many ideas that I think I could continue for months...but not here. I'll try not to bore you to tears.

You may have noticed form my photo that I have an incredible amount of unruly hair. While drying it with the hair dryer is quite a workout for my arms, it makes a dent in my electrical usage. If I dry it all the way through, it takes about an hour. No, that doesn't happen very often. Usually I get it dry enough that it's passable.

My goal is to put down the hair dryer. I have hair that is best left to air dry anyway. Not everyone can do this. I'm lucky. Even with a different hairstyle, I could cut back on how many minutes I use the dryer. A handy kitchen timer could be set for the target time, thus giving me an idea of how long it has been running.

I can remember being a kid and my father making us girls stand outside while the electric meter spun gleefully round and round. I don't remember what he said. Hey, I was kid and went something like, "blah, blah, blahblah, blah...."

This goes for other beauty gadgets like the curling iron and rollers. The goal is to cut back. Even if I gave up using some of these items one day a month/week it would make a downward difference in my bill. That's what I'm after. Little changes with rewards I can measure!

Don’t forget that we are giving away prizes at the end of December. To be eligible simply register for our monthly newsletter on the right. We don’t spam and we NEVER share your email address. One of our lovely prizes is a Kill-A-Watt meter to help identify what gadgets really draw in current. Pass it along. More prizes coming.I will also be sending out tweets that go along with the challenge www.twitter.com/BeautyWriter saving electricity is truly a beautiful thing.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: