Monday, December 1, 2008

Electriciy Challenge Day 1 to Lower Bills




Today is not the beginning of a quest but the hyperextension of one that has been going on for many years. Over the next 31 days, I have promised myself to research ad carry through on the things I need to do to tweak my energy usage.


Yes, that is my meter on the left. I had it checked a few years ago and the power company needed to replace it. The trouble was-- it couldn't be done in a single day. This is how it sat for a week. It was too funny not to take a picture of. Somehow, I don't think binding is an effective way of keeping electric bill small?



Each day I will check in and share a bit of the journey.



I called the Power Company and they told me that last year I used 916 kWh during December. My goal is to reduce that. Here in VA the rate for electricity is low, a mere 6.22 cents per kWh. Even so, how low can it go?



In the past I have just implemented energy savings ideas with no strategy on how to get from point A to point B. Sure, they probably helped, but did I miss some? Quite likely!
My first stop is the energy audit. Some consumers in my area are eligible for a free audit through the power company through a pilot program—I am waiting for a call back to see if I qualify. However, while I wait, I am still researching.



The US Dept of Energy has great information on choosing a company to do an energy audit and what to do to get ready. http://tinyurl.com/6bb4lz For more information on energy audits go to http://tinyurl.com/6q3vqb



Our local news did a piece on energy audits and used Chopper10 to evaluate heat loss with heat seeking radar and some other fancy electronics. Wouldn’t it be cool to have that done?



Now, I have an idea of what they look for. I will contact some companies and see about having the audit performed, but for now, I will start my own.



Well, I am off to make a checklist of what to look for.



If your company offers related services please let me know and I will give you a shout out. I am also collecting prizes to award at the end of the month. Winners will be chosen at random from the names of those who sign up for our monthly newsletter (on the right) so go sign up now! We still need more prizes so donations are welcome and I will place a link to your business on my site. iNails hotmail dot com.



A lot to think about in a short period. See you all tomorrow.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: