Thursday, December 18, 2008

Day 18 Cutting Our Dependence on Electricity

Looking for ways to cut the electricity has become a bit of a CSI experience in our home. I'll find myself standing in front of an appliance, scratching my head, and wondering exactly what it costs to operate. Then, out come my trusty new friend, the Kill-A-Watt meter to measure the usage and set the issue to rest.

Some things aren't so simple to measure but yet we know they make a difference. Insulation, for instance, helps conserve but is difficult for homeowners to measure--without waiting for the fuel and electric bill.

Sadly, my home is an oldie and needs some attention in the insulation area. I found some great videos on YouTube.com that show it step by step. My hope is by bring the insulation up to par we will reduce the number of times the furnace cuts on and off, thus saving electricity. We may also be able to nix some of the electric heater usage.

Don't forget to register for the monthly newsletter. The button is to the right. At the end of December I am giving away a Kill-A-Watt meter and 2 microwave pizza trays. More goodies to come. All you have to do is register for the newsletter during the month of December to be eligible for the fishbowl style drawing.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: