Saturday, December 13, 2008

Day 13 and Counting the Electricity Savings

Hubby was really pleased with the results of the electricity challenge. Isn't it time to do an electricity challenge of your own? It's easy to pick a few key areas to concentrate on and...wham, the savings start to add up fast.

Around my home, it has become like a snowball gathering speed. Every day is getting a little easier to remember to turn out the lights. We are reaching for a sweater before we touch the thermostat, and we think before plugging something in.

Today I chose to work on making the outdoor lights a little less expensive. Yeah, yeah, I know. Electricity is cheap in Virginia--only 6.22 cents per kWh. But does that give me a licence to use with reckless abandon? Probably, but I won't.

The Dept. of Energy has a wealth of data and guidance. I found information on daylighting devices (dim the lights in proportion to the available light) and dusk-to-dawn sensors (on at night, off in day) and found exactly what I needed.

I have started to use screw-in type sensors that I found at Lowes Home Improvement. You can check sites like nextag to compare prices and availability for the different types of sensors.

I usually forget to turn the outdoor post lights off in the am. I'm hoping this will help keep the bill in check. By my rough calculations I should use roughly half the electricity on these items that I had previously used.

Don't forget to register for the monthly newsletter. The button is to the right. At the end of December I am giving away a Kill-A-Watt meter and 2 microwave pizza trays. More goodies to come. All you have to do is register for the newsletter during the month of December to be eligible for the fishbowl style drawing.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: