Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day 25 Saving Electricity is Adding up Big.

It's Christmas day. And for me that means looking at everything I have to be thankful for. It turns out I have a lot to be thankful for.

Hard won rewards for noble efforts feel good. Sometimes what we attempt doesn't work out the way we intend, so when it does, well...it feels great.

It got me thinking about the electricity challenge. For today, we will enjoy the lights a little longer. We'll turn the heat a bit warmer and keep the ipod playing a little louder. It doesn't mean we have thrown care to the wind. We will just take a break and enjoy the benefits of saving all year.

I was looking over our power usage for the last 5 complete years, month by month. It's been a gradual reduction. Awesome.

Our usage went as follows: 2004/14060 kWh, 2005/10978 kWh, 2006/10627 kWh, 2007/10574 kWh, 2008/10009 kWh.

I've been comparing month-to-month averages and year to year. It's nice to track it because the data starts to add up. Up until this December I had a haphazard approach to tackling the electrical usage. Not anymore. I've worked out a system we can stick to. "The Electricity Diet" will stay with us. We haven't exhausted all the possibilities for saving.

My Christmas wish is for a windmill to power our use. Hear me, Santa?

Don't forget to register for the monthly newsletter. The button is to the right. At the end of December I am giving away a Kill-A-Watt meter and 2 microwave pizza trays. More goodies to come. All you have to do is register for the newsletter during the month of December to be eligible for the fishbowl style drawing.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: